Breakfast After The Bell has five main objectives:
- Increase the number of children eating breakfast on school days
- Increase the consumption of nutritious foods, making breakfast programs more effective
- Improve academic performance by preparing children to learn
- Improve the overall health of children in the stat of New Mexico
- Generate additional revenue for school nutrition programs through federal and state reimbursements
Beginning in school year 2019-2020, schools participating in the NSLP with free and reduced percentages of 85% or greater, must offer breakfast at no charge to each student after the instructional day has begun.
OOCS has chosen to implement the following Model:
Grab ‘n Go
Students can obtain their Grab ‘n Go breakfast from the cafeteria to eat or finish eating in their classroom. Each Grab ‘n Go breakfast will be a complete reimbursable meal and students will be given a total of 15 minutes to eat their breakfast. Breakfast will be served for 2 hours after the initial breakfast start time. Tardy students will be directed to the cafeteria after obtaining a tardy slip in the office, to get their Grab ‘n Go breakfast if needed.