Ohkay Owingeh Community School encourages high standards in dress and appearance. While we do not require a school “uniform”, we do ask our students to represent themselves in a respectful manner when it comes to what they wear.
The following is the dress code which has been established for students of Ohkay Owingeh Community School:
- Clothing exhibiting drugs, alcohol, sex, nudity, profanity, gothic or satanic cultures, vulgarity or violence may not be worn during school hours or to any school-sponsored event.
- Anything that can be considered gang related is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: sagging pants, hairnets, spikes, overly long belts and bandanas or pants with chains.
- Shorts and skirts are permitted, but must be no shorter than mid-thigh.
- Skin-tight short pants or too-baggy pants are not allowed. Pants and short pants shall be worn so that they do not pose a safety hazard or show underclothing.
- Skirts, blouses, and dresses must be appropriate. No halter tops, tube tops or spaghetti straps are allowed.
- No hats, caps, or hoods are to be worn in the cafeteria or in the classrooms.
- No bare midriff or revealing clothing.
- No “heely” shoes or roller skates/blades, cleats, or steel toed shoes are allowable.
If your clothing is deemed inappropriate, you will be required to change into acceptable clothing and your parents will be contacted.
In school suspension/after school detention.
Meeting with Parent(s), Student, Counselor, Principal &Teacher.
Short Term Suspension – Suspended from regularly-scheduled classes or activities for a period of (1) to (5) days.
Long Term Suspension – for more than 5 days.
Student will be consider habitual and may face expulsion.