Title I- Parent Involvement PolicyRevised by the Board of Education July 23, 2012
In Response to NO Child Left Behind enacted in January 8, 2002, Sec. 118 (Parental Involvement) (b) School Parental Involvement Policy of Public Law 107-110 (Title I) Ohkay Owingeh Community School hereby establishes the following district level Parent Involvement Policy:
- Consistent with section 1118, the school will work to ensure that the required school level parental involvement policies meet the requirements of section 1118 of the ESEA, and each include, as a component, a school parent compact consistent with section 1118 (d) of the ESEA.
- Ohkay Owingeh Community School (OOCS) will establish a parent orientation meeting at which Title I Parental Involvement requirement will be discussed and at which a parent advisory committee will be established. The committee will be trained and will assist the board with the development of the program (Title I) and policy as it relates to Title I Program Requirements.
- OOCS will notify parent of the policy in an understandable and uniform format, and to the extent possible, in a language the parents can understand. The policy will be made available to the local community and updated to meet the changing needs of parents and the school.
- The school will provide opportunities for the full participation of parents with limited English proficiency, parents with disabilities and parents with migratory children.
- The school will involve the parents of children in decisions about how the one percent Title I funds reserved for parental involvement will be spent.
- The school will convene an annual meeting in September for all parents of participating Children at which the Title I program will be discussed.
- The school will build its parents’ capacity for strong parental involvement in order to ensure effective involvement of parents and to support a partnership among the school, parents and the community to improve student academic achievement.
- Convene an annual meeting in September for all parents of participating children at which the Title I Application and program will be explained.
- Each parent will receive a copy of the district Parent Involvement Policy as well as a compact to sign along with the teacher and student.
- Provide meetings as per a yearlong parental involvement calendar.
- Hold various orientation and information meeting throughout the year
- Provide summaries and explanation of each area and each document mentioned above
- Provide trainings-as needed
- Involve parent in OOCS events, activities, and programs such as Literacy Nights, Math Night, movie night, Pow Wow, Book Fairs, “I Care Curriculum”.
- Provide audio, video and other materials, which cover one area.
- Provide materials and training to help parents work with their children
- Educate teachers, pupil service personnel, principals and other staff, with the assistance of parents, in:
- Coordinate and integrate parent involvement programs and activities with Head Start and other Programs.
- Provide necessary literacy training for funds developed jointly by parent and districts.
- Provide Open House, curriculum meetings, report cards, parent handbooks, etc.
- Provide agenda for the meetings.
- Provide a process for documenting parent concerns, suggestions.
- National education goals
- BIE Education Goals
- State Content Standards
- State Student Performance
- Title I law and requirements
- Monitoring student progress
- Working with educators
- Participating in decisions related to their child’s education
- Pay reasonable and necessary expenses associated with local parental involvement including transportation and childcare.
I. General Expectations
II. Ohkay Owingeh Community School will take the following action to involve parents in the development of the plan.
i. The value of the contrition of parents
ii. How to reach out to, communicate with, and work with parents as equal partner and implement and coordinate parent programs.